1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going to pull heavy trailer with an 23 SR5 TRD

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by MoPops, May 2, 2024.

1. May 2, 2024 at 4:30 PM
    MoPops

MoPops [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2012 Dbl cab, 4x4
    Bilsteins all around, and mostly minor stuff.
    I pull a 25’ airstream TT. It has a tongue weight of about 1,000 lbs. Right now I’m pulling it with my 2012 with the 5.7 and a Roadmaster Active Suspension. It does great. I think Im selling my 2012 to my son. The local dealer has a 2023 SR5 TRD for a decent price. I obviously can’t use a RAS because there aren’t any rear leaf springs. So, I’m guessing I’ll need an airbag of some kind. Just wondering what others with a similar situation are doing. I tried searching, because I imagine this has been asked numerous times before. I have poor search skills. Sorry.

Leo's first and MEGA VOL like this.
  2. May 2, 2024 at 4:40 PM
    NORTHof54

NORTHof54 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    ‘24 Limited CM TRD OR in Windchill
    Watch your payload rating compared to hitch weight is going to be the common answer to this question

3. May 2, 2024 at 5:37 PM
    MoPops

MoPops [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2012 Dbl cab, 4x4
    I’m sorry. I thought this was a Tundra forum. I’ve been pulling this same trailer for 4 years, 30,000+ miles all over the US, with my 2012 Tundra. I guess the newer Tundras can’t take a little stress? Ok..

4. May 2, 2024 at 5:55 PM
    mountainpete

mountainpete Explore more

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    Sorry about the lack of a welcome. This is a Tundra forum and towing is sometimes a sensitive subject around here.

Everyone has a unique experience and opinion for towing as there are so many variables - the only truths are payload capacity and trailer weight. These are tougher with Airstreams. They are built hitch heavy so it eats into the truck payload. If you are over payload, well that’s a number you can’t change.

With that said, if your numbers are in your comfort range, the general approach is to look at the weight distribution hitch before changing anything else.

Start with reading a thread like this:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/desperate-for-airbags-or-something-to-eliminate-rear-sag.108650/

5. May 2, 2024 at 5:56 PM
    303Gen3

303Gen3 Certified Ignore button user!

Member:
    "Just around the Corner"
    Vehicle:
    '23 MGM SR5 CrewMax 4x4
    Nitrogen filled tires!
    Air bags will work fine. Check the suspension thread and tow/haul thread for what other Gen3 owners are using. The SR5 will do fine.

MoPops[OP] likes this.
  6. May 2, 2024 at 6:10 PM
    MoPops

MoPops [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2012 Dbl cab, 4x4
    I’ll check those threads. Thanks. I just have zero experience with airbags.
    I’ve read a million articles about payload, axle load ratings, GCWR, tow limits and ratings. I use a good weight distribution hitch and have it set up properly. Went over Beartooth Pass last time we were out west. Google it..

j-utah likes this.
  7. May 2, 2024 at 6:14 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Are you using a Load Distribution Hitch? I would start there before using airbags.

8. May 2, 2024 at 7:51 PM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    Welcome to the site. Some folks are payload averse. Some feel these trucks are only good for getting groceries (Costco may or may not be an acceptable since they deal in bulk - means your groceries are heavy..) and should - under no circumstances - be used to tow or haul anything. Some folks feel the space shuttle is well within the realm of possibilities. I’m somewhere in the middle.

Air bags are the answer for you, my friend. The only other real solution would be different heavy duty coils, but if you don’t have a constant load in the bed 500 lbs or more, they would make for an uncomfortable ride.

I’ve run airbags for years and tow regularly. They help shoulder and manage the load very well and are obviously adjustable for your varying load needs. I’m a fan of Firestone Ride Rites. Buy a portable tire inflator from the tool color of your choice (Milwaukee for the win!) and you can air up tires and air bags as needed for towing.

9. May 3, 2024 at 3:52 AM
    MoPops

MoPops [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2012 Dbl cab, 4x4
    Thanks. I’m not super skilled in the shop. I did the RAS install, and would prefer to do an airbag install also. Just curious how challenging it is? I’m sure there’s a YouTube video or two. I transfer as much weight as I feel comfortable with, with my weight distribution hitch. Unfortunately the airstream trailer frames can only take so much stress. If I tried to completely level the truck and trailer with the hitch alone, it would probably separate the shell from the frame.
    Thanks again.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  10. May 3, 2024 at 3:57 AM
    vtl

vtl New Member

Member:
    Boston 'burbs
    Vehicle:
    19 Red SR5
    Early 2023s were still eating up main bearings.

11. May 3, 2024 at 5:18 AM
    Spartanfam

Spartanfam New Member

Member:
    West Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    Hello @MoPops
    As mentioned above, there are other threads about towing with the 3rd Gen Tundra. Others are:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/what-camping-setup-do-you-have.72845/page-21#post-3540483
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/what-do-you-tow-with-your-22.102478/page-5#post-3536565

I personally tow a 25' Airstream FBQ with my 2024 Tundra. I previously towed it with a 2017 F150. I recently towed through the Appalachian Mtns with it and it was a champ. The engine braking was superior to my F150 3.5L EcoBoost with Tow Pkg. It rides level with a BlueOx SwayPro... same setup I had on the F150. I do not have airbags, just the TRD OffRoad pkg, which has monotube shocks and (I believe) dual-rate springs.

Tundra & Bean.jpg

12. May 3, 2024 at 6:09 AM
    303Gen3

Member:
    "Just around the Corner"
    Vehicle:
    '23 MGM SR5 CrewMax 4x4
    Nitrogen filled tires!
    sounds to me like you have it under control and will have no issues getting your set-up correct. Beartooth.. funny I use to go over that every summer with my father in his International Scout back in the late 50's early 60's - long before it was paved. That was a fun ride. I am sure it still is.

Leo's first likes this.
  13. May 3, 2024 at 6:18 AM
    303Gen3

Member:
    "Just around the Corner"
    Vehicle:
    '23 MGM SR5 CrewMax 4x4
    Nitrogen filled tires!

false. many sold and the total failure rate is less than 1/2 of one percent. When they fail - yes it is a big deal. Open ended statements make it sound worse than the facts show. Same could be said for the issues with your truck's powertrain - but even with the number of issues it has they are, just like the Gen3, reliable. Sucks when one person on the assembly line can't do their job correctly - guess that is why people get sent packing and someone else who wants to do the job correct 100% of the time takes over. Problem fixed.

SnrDisregardo and MoPops[OP] like this.
  14. May 3, 2024 at 6:33 AM
    MoPops

MoPops [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2012 Dbl cab, 4x4
    Hmm, this is a used 2023, so I imagine it’s an early one. That might explain the low price. Thx

15. May 3, 2024 at 6:34 AM
    j-utah

j-utah Look Bodhi, people are dead, the ride is over.

Member:
    First Name:
    Utah
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra SR5 (Bodhi)
    Dice valve stem caps (black)
    OP, I am towing a 25’ Outdoors RV that has 1000 lbs of tongue weight, with a WDH.

I have only done it once so far, a 1000 mile round trip to western Kansas. Interstate speeds but relatively flat. Before that, I towed with a ‘13 Sequoia SR5 5.7.

My SR5 Tundra is very smooth and stable towing. The power is impressive. Stopping power was good, brakes on the trailer are good. I had a wife, kid and dog in the cab. Not much at all in the bed. My payload is close to maximum, as it can be, because the engineers said that’s what it can be. I am not going to build in a fudge factor, and if something breaks, I will get it fixed. But I don’t think it will. Got to stay positive but be prepared.

My 24 Tundra is a fully optioned SR5 with factory air bags and factory tow mirrors. Something to consider. It has the good stuff that I like, very close to a Limited inside. But no perks that add weight such as the sunroof. I don’t need a hole in my roof. Big radio screen but no JBL. Not a lot of chrome. Price was terrible, but not uber terrible. I am satisfied with my purchase and impressed with the smooth power and stability and it ran over tumbleweeds just fine. It is not a perfect truck at all but my dislikes are small.

16. May 3, 2024 at 12:17 PM
    vtl

vtl New Member

Member:
    Boston 'burbs
    Vehicle:
    19 Red SR5
    You don't know how bad is the bearings damage until the engine is split apart. If it does not knock yet, it does not mean there's no damage.

17. May 3, 2024 at 12:58 PM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    No problem. Good approach, IMO. The install on previous model truck is straightforward but a little more involved than perhaps the RAS was. The kit comes with brackets that take all of the guesswork out of placement; you just have to follow the instructions. The only thing you really have to think about is where/how to plumb the airlines, then figure out how to avoid the exhaust and other moving parts (not as hard as it sounds). I wanted to be able to fill either side independent of the other, so I ran two separate lines without a T fitting. I found that they fit great just above the fuel filler on my truck. That may not be the case for you.

For the 3rd gen, they replace the factory jounce bumper. You basically pull off the jounce bumper and bracket as well as a few other bolts and small pieces (e brake cable bracket, for example), replace them with the the brackets in the kit, install your air bags, the run some air line. A tip for the air lines that they note in instructions: you really do want a clean 90 degree cut. Diagonal cutters and such won't give you that clean cut as it smashes the line flat before cutting. A sharp new utility blade is perfect for making that cut. Use the blade to slice like a piece of bread rather than chop or sever. I've had zero leaks in 7 years using that method.

MoPops[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  18. May 3, 2024 at 5:37 PM
    303Gen3

Member:
    "Just around the Corner"
    Vehicle:
    '23 MGM SR5 CrewMax 4x4
    Nitrogen filled tires!
    so your Gen 2 / 2.5 could shit the bed too and you would have no clue there is an issue. So if the Truck you are driving is so good why is it replaced? Looking for sympathy - you will find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis. V8's are dead. V6 TT are the current and future replacements for the dead option you drive. Go back to your Gen Thread - it is safe there because everyone is like you. Living in the past. Officially "ignored" so flap your lips away! Three down. Flap away you Gen3 haters.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
  19. May 3, 2024 at 6:00 PM
    Red&03Taco

Red&03Taco YUT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerad
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax Platinum 4WD
    FIFY

Tripleconpanna and vtl like this.
  20. May 3, 2024 at 6:08 PM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    So… airbags, then?

Tripleconpanna and RichterScale like this.
  21. May 3, 2024 at 6:28 PM
    MoPops

MoPops [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2012 Dbl cab, 4x4
    Great info. Thanks! If I get this 2023 I’m looking at, I’ll definitely try towing without adding airbags. I use the BlueOx SwayPro also.

22. May 4, 2024 at 6:26 PM
    Csteppe

Csteppe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    I have a 2023 Limited with the airbags and it pulls great. I’ve pulled a couple wet pallets of sod, my 19.5 Scout center console and an enormous amount of wood on a duel axel trailer. It’s done great. Even better than my 2021 F-150.

MoPops[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top