1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fit and finish assembly on ‘24 Tundra

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Built2Spill, Mar 11, 2024.

1. Mar 11, 2024 at 11:34 AM
    Built2Spill

Built2Spill [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Carlsbad
    Vehicle:
    ‘24 Tundra Limited TRD
    Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, I hope I’m in the right place. I purchased a new ‘24 Tundra Limited TRD a few weeks ago and noticed the tailgate not releasing properly. I took it into service and during the walk around inspection with my advisor, we noticed multiple body panels out of alignment. For example the tailgate has a 3/4”+ gap on the driver’s side and an 1/8” gap on the passenger side. The hood sits below the side body panel on the driver’s side and it rests slightly above the side panel on the passenger side. The front painted trim has a noticeably larger gap exposing the rubber seal and is loose on the driver’s side. The passenger side rear bumper panel corner also protrudes out almost 1/2”. I will upload pics to give everyone a better idea of what is going on but for now my question is has anyone seen this on the 3rd gens? This is my 2nd time owning a Tundra and I’ve owned 8 Tacomas, a Prius and a Camry. I’ve never had such quality control issues before with Toyota and am a little disappointed that I am experiencing this on a $65K vehicle. Other than that I love the truck. Any input/advice is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    -Mike

Balzac likes this.
  2. Mar 11, 2024 at 11:44 AM
    cmiles97

cmiles97 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toytota Tundra SR5 4x4 XP
    XP package
  3. Mar 11, 2024 at 11:46 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
  4. Mar 11, 2024 at 11:48 AM
    cmiles97

cmiles97 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    XP package
    I was thinking some are built in Mexico. It is sad to hear this and hopefully a short term issue or only a short run issue.

5. Mar 11, 2024 at 11:48 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    Tacoma is assembled in Mexico.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  6. Mar 11, 2024 at 11:57 AM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited 4X4 Nightshade Blueprint
    BAK MX4, window tint, TRD skid plate
    San Antonio, Texas

Production began in May 1999 at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana (TMMI), before moving to the Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (TMMTX) plant in San Antonio in 2008. It's still assembled there today and remains the only full-size pickup truck made in Texas. The TMMTX assembly lines currently produce the Tundra full-size pickup truck and the Sequoia full-size sport utility vehicle.

ryanwgregg and Siblue like this.
  7. Mar 11, 2024 at 12:03 PM
    jeffcoseo

jeffcoseo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Gosh. Your truck sounds a little wonky. There are a few knick knack items that could be improved... but... those fitment issues sound bad.

Built2Spill[OP] likes this.
  8. Mar 11, 2024 at 12:08 PM
    MaxPayne3

MaxPayne3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Lunar Rock SR5 Crew Cab
    Just starting out but never will be done
    Maybe the truck was assembled and or QC inspected on a Monday or Friday :D IYKYK

9. Mar 11, 2024 at 12:20 PM
    jeffcoseo

jeffcoseo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    I haven't found anything on my truck was poorly assembled. There are a few cheap seals, some thin plastic, and a few parts that could be designed more "robustly".

10. Mar 11, 2024 at 4:30 PM
    Built2Spill

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Carlsbad
    Vehicle:
    ‘24 Tundra Limited TRD
  11. Mar 11, 2024 at 4:34 PM
    Built2Spill

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Carlsbad
    Vehicle:
    ‘24 Tundra Limited TRD
    I stopped by the dealer today and looked at 8 different Tundras. None of them had the inconsistent gaps that my truck has. My truck was manufactured in January of this year. Must’ve been put together on the 2nd and everyone was still hungover, haha. Total bummer though.

12. Mar 11, 2024 at 4:57 PM
    Built2Spill

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Carlsbad
    Vehicle:
    ‘24 Tundra Limited TRD
    My service advisor recommended that we get it into the Toyota body shop to have them take a look. I met with advisor this past Thursday and he told me that all Toyotas not built in Japan have serious QC issues. He advised me that the new plastic parts are inconsistent and usually come to them with some sort of warpage or defects from Toyota. He advised me that if I proceed with repairs, that I could be opening a “can of worms” with the recalibration of the sensors and camera in the grill. It’s disheartening that I am being put in a position of either opening a can of worms or just living with misaligned panels, tailgate, hood and trim. He also mentioned that the issue with the misaligned tailgate and rear bumper panels could be if the bed is out of alignment. I have the upgraded factory sprayed-in bed liner and I love it. However, I was advised in order to realign the bed they would have to use a hole saw to cut the bed liner around the bolts so the bed could be loosened and realigned. I was advised that they have no way to touch up the bed liner so I would have to live with no coating on and around the mounting bolts. I read somewhere that dealers had the resources to be able to do a touch up in the event there was ever an issue with the sprayed in bedliner. Thoughts on any of this? Much appreciated
    -Mike

13. Mar 11, 2024 at 5:03 PM
    Tim P

Tim P New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    None yet
    I can only say that the recalibration of the sensors and camera should be covered under warranty. The dealership just did mine but the insurance company paid for it because a deer decided to jump in front of me and commit suicide. First estimate was just under $4,000 but it ended up being over $7,000 and five weeks without the truck after the body shop thought they had all the parts.

14. Mar 11, 2024 at 5:05 PM

2494 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra 1794
    I don’t mean to pile on but that’s not right. If I saw your truck in a parking lot I would swear it had already been wrecked. Completely unacceptable

15. Mar 11, 2024 at 5:14 PM
    dklehman

dklehman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Vehicle:
    2024 sr5 Tundra
    I would find another dealer.

BeauDacious, MaxPayne3 and cmiles97 like this.
  16. Mar 11, 2024 at 5:28 PM
    Black@Blue19

Black@Blue19 Old Salt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    24 Camaro SS 6.2 Liter Loaded
    To much to list:)
    Get into a new different truck!

17. Mar 11, 2024 at 6:02 PM
    dekeman

dekeman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Ottawa, ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limted TRD
    Pretty sad this is still happening after building, what, 250,000 trucks?
    Take it back and demand they make it right.

Built2Spill[OP] and cmiles97 like this.
  18. Mar 11, 2024 at 6:15 PM
    Jettster

Jettster New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra 1794 TRD Off Road
    TRD Pro Wheels and Tires
    It sounds like your truck may have been damaged in transport or on the lot or a test drive. Check carefully for overspray or tape lines. Depending on the state if there is damage to a new vehicle below a certain threshold (say $1000-2000) the manufacturer or dealer does NOT have to disclose it. Helps make my case for hanging onto my Toyotas and Lexus with J vin meaning Japan built sad to say as I love the USA!

19. Mar 11, 2024 at 6:24 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    If he used that can of worms threat on me I would’ve laughed in his face and told him to F off. Only reason I’d be reluctant to do the repairs is, I’d be worried it’ll come back worse than it went in.

Built2Spill[OP] and Terndrerrr like this.
  20. Mar 11, 2024 at 7:47 PM
    Txrx

Txrx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Bellingham WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Silver tundra Limited TRD OR, Crew max, 5.5ft
    MX4 Tonno, Go Rhino E-boards, Method 705, BFG AT 285/75/17, Rigid amber fog lights
    Tell them to make it right. Thats ridiculous. Might remind them that other people who *might* buy a tundra will be turned off from making the purchase if thats what Toyota has to offer. It’s in their best interest to get these things squared away.

21. Mar 12, 2024 at 12:11 AM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    Use hole saw to cut bed liner around the bolts? Wtf... I had body shop remove my bed to paint a scratch and they just removed the bolts without holesaw lol. As if he's trying to scare you so you won't go ahead with any repairs...

And he says they won't be touch paint the bedliner? Lol these issues are fault of Toyota manufacturing, and they will cover these costs that body shop will remove panels and re install them etc, and doing spray on bedliner would just be part of it, it's not yuu I problem. They usually would cover such work

22. Mar 12, 2024 at 1:23 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Port installed bedliner paints over the bed bolts. Maybe not with a hole saw lol, but they do have to be cut out.

23. Mar 12, 2024 at 5:44 AM
    lapoolboy

lapoolboy New Member

Member:
    Go park across the street from the dealer with a big sign that says "Ask me about my truck and my experience at XYZ dealer". They'll suddenly find a way to make your truck right.

BeauDacious, 22whatwedo and cmiles97 like this.
  24. Mar 12, 2024 at 5:57 AM
    godrew1972

godrew1972 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7
    None
    My guess is that you did not notice this until you got home? In your pictures it seems like that would be pretty noticeable doing your "walk around" when you sign the papers? Thats BS if they just want you to live with it like that. You want the first imperfection or scrape to at least be done by you on a new car, at least I would. Good luck.

25. Mar 12, 2024 at 6:01 AM
    cmiles97

cmiles97 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    XP package
    Wow! That truck looks wrecked. I am sad to see anything like that coming from Toyota.

With the high prices today, you should not have to have an inferior truck.

Brian422 likes this.
  26. Mar 12, 2024 at 7:26 AM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    ya, that truck looks like it got into an accident or fell off the transport carrier.

and that dealer is so full of shit, my truck doesn't have any of that and neither does the 2023 AWD Sienna we bought, thats total bullshit about all Toyotas not made in Japan, so untrue.

time for a different dealer and call to toyota corp.

27. Mar 12, 2024 at 7:39 AM
    CMikeB

CMikeB New Member

Member:
    When we BOUGHT our Tundra, I inspected it thoroughly before excepting delivery. Sometimes we miss stuff but if we catch something immediately after the PDI was 'supposedly' completed, we tend to look closer.

28. Mar 12, 2024 at 8:32 AM
    Built2Spill

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Carlsbad
    Vehicle:
    ‘24 Tundra Limited TRD
    I didn’t notice anything during the walk around other than a noticeable paint chip on the driver’s door handle. I was looking for dents and scratches, not lines on body panels and tailgate being off. I purchased it on a Friday and noticed on Sunday that the tailgate didn’t release all the way while showing it off to my neighbor. I got it into the dealer on Monday and they were able to recreate it and that’s when I first noticed the lines being off.

I purchased the truck up in Simi Valley 2.5 hours away because the dealers around here all install the Karr alarm system and we had issues with one of those alarms from day one on my son’s truck. I contacted Toyota customer service on Thursday after picking it up from service to have them document what I’m experiencing. The lady that helped me seemed very thorough documenting everything and advised me that I would receive a callback from a customer relations representative—I’m still waiting for that call.

It’s really a huge disappointment even thinking about having the body shop pull everything apart and replacing parts, but with the tailgate still sticking every once in a while, it’s more than cosmetic. So after reading everyone’s input, I think I’m going to move forward with taking it back in and having them make it all right. Even if it does open that “can of worms”, that’s something they will have to deal with and eventually make right. I’m not happy having to deal with this or having to put this on my local dealer but ultimately it’s Toyota’s responsibility to make my truck right. After all, I purchased a new vehicle, not a used one.

29. Mar 12, 2024 at 8:34 AM
    swank501

swank501 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    TRD S/C Crewmax window conversion Auburn LSD Custom interior
    Not a new one, but my local dealer had a '23 capstone on the lot with 4k miles at a good deal. I went to look at it and noticed some considerable panel fitment issues. Alot of what you are showing can be adjusted to look better. This capstone i looked at had panel alignment issues that were more consistent with collision damage. Although i could not find any evidence of paint work, the panel alignment alone was enough for me to walk away from the potential headache.

30. Mar 12, 2024 at 8:47 AM
    CMikeB

CMikeB New Member

Member:
    We BOUGHT our Tundra in 2010, so much has certainly changed.

Products Discussed in

To Top